Legal Services NYC: Veterans Justice Project
Who We Are
Legal Services NYC's Veterans Justice Project provides free civil legal services to Veterans, Services Members, and their Families. We help veterans avoid eviction, battle student loan debt, resolve child custody issues, obtain food stamps, social security and other public benefits and draft wills and Powers of Attorney. Our goal is to help keep veterans in their homes, keep military families together, and protect and secure income for veterans.
- Who are victims of domestic violence
- With guardianships or adoptions for dependent children
- With divorce, separation, child custody or support issues.
- With abuse and neglect cases
- With termination of parental rights proceedings
- Assist veterans when government benefits are being wrongfully denied, inaccurately calculated, or improperly terminated
- Advise or represent veterans in obtaining Unemployment Insurance, Food Stamps, Medicaid/Medicare and other public assistance and Safety Net programs
- Help veterans obtain or maintain Social Security Disability benefits
We help Veterans, Service Members, and their families with consumer law problems by:
- Advising them about federal bankruptcy protection where appropriate
- Stopping unlawful debt collection practices, including resolving student loan debt
- Overcoming illegal sale contracts or warranties
- Preventing or overcoming utility terminations
How to Get Help
You can contact this organization by:
- Contact Type
- Phone Number
- (347) 592-2409
Call the hotline to schedule an appointment at your local Legal Services NYC office.
Who We Serve
- New York City (all 5 NYC boroughs)
- Cirumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
All languages are spoken. When staff who speak the language are not available, we use Language Line.
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
- Eligibility Restrictions
This project only serves active service members, veterans and families of active service members and families
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Description of Services
Organization does not provide assistance with obtaining or modifying benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs.