Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund
Who We Are
Founded in 1974, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) is a national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian Americans. By combining litigation, advocacy, education, and organizing, AALDEF works with Asian American communities across the country to secure human rights for all.
AALDEF focuses on critical issues affecting Asian Americans, including immigrant rights, civic participation and voting rights, economic justice for workers, language access to services, educational equity, housing and environmental justice, and the elimination of anti-Asian violence, police misconduct, and human trafficking.
AALDEF engages in the following activities:
- litigates cases that have major impacts on the Asian American community
- provides legal resources for community-based organizations and facilitates grassroots community organizing efforts
- conducts free, multilingual legal advice clinics for low-income Asian Americans and new immigrants
- educates Asian Americans about their legal rights
- comments on proposed legislation and governmental policies
- trains students in public interest law and encourages them to use their legal skills to serve the community
AALDEF has a 14-person staff, including seven lawyers. We are assisted by over 300 volunteers, including pro bono attorneys, community workers, and students. AALDEF receives financial support from foundations, corporations, individual contributions and special fundraising events. AALDEF receives no government funds.
How to Get Help
Call (212) 966-5932 or MinKwon Center for Community Action at (718) 460-5600.
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- Nassau County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Rockland County
- Suffolk County
- Westchester County
- Language(s) Spoken
- Cantonese Chinese / 粵語
- Korean / 한국어
- Mandarin Chinese / 简体中文
- Tigrinya / Ge'ez
- Circumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
AALDEF has a bilingual staff attorney who speaks Malayalam. We have access to bilingual individuals who speak Gujarati, Tagalog, and Hindi.
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Description of Services
Education and Outreach
- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español