How to Apply for New York’s New COVID-19 Rent Relief Program
If you are struggling to pay rent due to the pandemic, you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Rent Relief Program from the New York Homes and Community Renewal.
You need to apply by August 6th. If you are granted assistance, your landlord will receive a one-time payment.
Am I eligible for the COVID-19 Rent Relief Program?
- You must be a renter with primary residence in New York State.
- You must have lost income during any period between April 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020.
- Before March 1, 2020, your income must be below 80 percent of the Area Median Income of your county.
- Before March 1, 2020, more than 30% of your income must have gone towards rent.
The online application includes a tool that can help you determine if you qualify. You must use the eligibility tool before applying online.
Additional eligibility requirements:
- You must have at least one person in your household with U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status.
- The program is open to tenants living in both rent regulated and market rate homes.
- You do not need to have a lease to be eligible for assistance.
- You do not need to be behind on your rent to be eligible for assistance
How do I submit a paper application?
If you do not want to submit the application online, you can mail in your application. It must be postmarked by August 5th, 2020 in order to be considered. You can still use the eligibility tool to determine if you qualify for assistance.
If you do not want to use the eligibility tool, here is the criteria to determine if you are income eligible and considered “rent burdened”:
- Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, household income (including unemployment benefits) must be below 80 percent of the Area Median Income, adjusted for household size.
- Click here to find the Area Median Income for your county.
- Before March 1, 2020 and at the time of application, the household must have been "rent burdened," which is defined as paying more than 30 percent of gross monthly income towards rent.
You can find the application in other languages by going to the COVID-19 Rent Relift Program page on NY.gov and clicking “Downloadable & Translated Applications” in the sidebar.
I need more help.
HCR has created a dedicated call center to provide residents with help Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.
For more help with applying for assistance, you can call the COVID Rent Relief Program Call Center at 1-833-499-0318 or email at email@example.com