New York City Housing Repairs | New York

New York City Housing Repairs

You have a right to a home in good condition.

Do you have bad conditions in your apartment? Have you tried to get your landlord to make repairs and nothing has happened?

Here you will find the tools you need to take action.

Watch this video to learn:

  • The law regarding repairs and services
  • What kinds of conditions a landlord must fix
  • What steps to take to get the repairs

Follow these four steps to get your landlord to make repairs. 

Step 1: Call 311

You can call 311 to report unsafe conditions or repairs that need to be made in your home. To learn more about the process of filing an investigation of a complaint, visit:

► How to complain to the City about bad conditions in your apartment

Step 2: Get Evidence

You need to get a record of the damage to your home. The best way is to take lots of photos. Here is a form you may use to record heat and hot water information:

► Problems with Heat and Hot Water

Step 3: Ask In Writing

You may send a letter to your landlord requesting repairs. Include a list of all the repairs needed and a reasonable deadline. You may do this in writing and keep a copy. Here's a sample that you may use:

 Sample letter to send to your landlord

 Get answers to your questions about getting housing repairs, find sample forms and information about courts and legal services organizations.

Step 4: Take Landlord To Court

If all else fails, you can sue your landlord in housing court to force them to make the repairs. This is a special kind of case called an "HP" case or, more commonly, an "HP Action". To learn more about the process of filing and prepare for your court date, visit:

► What is an HP Action or HP Case?

► How to 'Serve the Court Papers in a Lawsuit for Repairs or Harassment.

► Here are Some Words You Might Hear in Court

Court Forms


Click on the links below to access our free and easy to use "do it yourself" program.  This program will help guide you step by step and prepare the following Court form for your housing repairs:

► HP Case for Repairs and to Stop Harassment

Find Help


You don't have to deal with a housing court problem on your own.
Finding free and confidential legal help can be easy.

More online help available at, a free and interactive online tool to help New Yorkers get repairs. 

► Call Housing Court Answers at 212-962-4795 from 9 am-5 pm, Tuesday-Thursday

► Visit the Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development (ANHD) for housing help and resources.

► Search for free legal help in your area - just enter your zipcode and select your housing issue.

► Use our Hotline directory - click here to find a confidential hotline available to help you with your housing issue.

Where to file your
Housing Part Action

  • Bronx
    Bronx Housing Court
    1118 Grand Concourse
    Bronx, NY
    HP Clerk
    Window 7
  • Brooklyn
    Kings Civil Court
    141 Livingston Street
    Brooklyn, NY
    HP Clerk
    Room 202
    Window 10
  • Manhattan
    New York Civil Court
    111 Centre Street
    New York, NY
    HP Clerk
    Room 225
    Window 5
  • Queens
    Queens Civil Court
    89-17 Sutphin Boulevard
    Jamaica, NY
    HP Clerk
    Room 209
  • Staten Island
    Richmond Civil Court
    927 Castleton Avenue
    Staten Island, NY
    HP Clerk
    L&T Window

Have thoughts about how this page could be more helpful? Take our short 4-question survey


LiveHelp is trying to contact an operator...