Community Service Society
Who We Are
The Community Service Society provides legal services for individuals with criminal conviction histories who are experiencing civil consequences as a result of those convictions. We are currently listed on the LawHelpNY.org website under several categories pertaining to Consequences of Criminal Charges.
We provide representation to people who were fired or not hired, by both private and public employers, because of a criminal record. In addition to employment discrimination, we also litigate against background check companies.
We also help people request, read, and repair their criminal records from New York and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Finally, we help people get Certificates of Relief from Disabilities and Certificates of Good Conduct. Both of these certificates require employers to assume a person with a conviction history has been "rehabilitated," and they are necessary to apply for many jobs licensed by the state.
How to Get Help
At this time we are offering remote services, answering our hotlines for reentry (run in partnership with Youth Represent), health-related and student loan-related services in real time.
Our Next Door Project hotline takes messages concerning rap sheet issues, including requests to order rap sheets,that we monitor and return daily. We are now providing limited in-person rap sheet services at our midtown office; our services at partner agencies are paused during the pandemic.
- Reentry Legal Hotline (646) 759-8088
- Health-related: (888) 614-5400
- Student-loan related: (888) 614-5400
- Next Door Project: (212) 614-5441
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Income Guidelines
We are only able to serve people receiving some form of government assistance or the unemployed.
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Self-Help Materials
- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español