New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)
Who We Are
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG) is a non-profit law firm that provides free, comprehensive civil legal services to poor and near-poor individuals and families residing in New York City. From its main office in Manhattan and numerous intake sites throughout the five boroughs, NYLAG offers representation, impact and class action litigation, consultation and community education to New Yorkers who would otherwise be unable to afford legal assistance. Specialized legal services are provided to immigrants, the elderly, victims of domestic violence, the chronically ill, children with special needs, low-wage workers, welfare recipients, Holocaust survivors and many more.
New York Legal Assistance Group is also home to LegalHealth, a division with the mission to provide free legal assistance to low-income New Yorkers with serious health problems within hospitals and community-based health organizations throughout the five boroughs. In addition to onsite free legal clinics, LegalHealth trains health care professionals to recognize legal issues that may negatively affect medical outcomes.
We have another office location at:
85 Willis Avenue, Suite K
Mineola, NY 11501
How to Get Help
At this time we are offering remote services.
We are available via:
- Our general phone line, available Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.: (212) 613-5000, ext. 2
- Our NY Covid-19 Legal Resource Hotline Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.: (929) 356-9582
Our NY Covid-19 Legal Resource Hotline offers advice in any of the following areas:
- Advanced Planning (Standby Guardianship, Power of Attorney, Healthcare Proxy, Wills)
- Consumer Debt (Debt Collection, Wage Garnishment)
- Employees Rights (Paid Leave, FMLA, Working Conditions)
- Housing (Eviction, Rent Arrears, Foreclosure, Mortgage Relief Options)
- Unemployment Benefits
- Public Benefits
- Special Education Issues (K-12)
- Stimulus Payment Questions
Have any papers relating to the case on hand when you call. When leaving a message, please leave your name, the best number to call you back, and a description of your issue. We will call you back within two business days.
General Contact Information
- Read this in:
- Spanish / Español