An Article 78 proceeding is used to appeal the decision of a New York State or local agency to the New York courts.

If you disagree with an agency decision, you can appeal the decision to the New York courts. You can do so by bringing an “Article 78 Proceeding.” It is named after the section of New York law that sets out the rules for this kind of case: Article 78 of the New York Civil Practice Law and Rules. Most people ask us about this kind of case after they have received an unfavorable hearing decision in a case involving the Department of Social Services (DSS) or a housing authority.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: January 15, 2018