This page on our site written by our partners at MFJ will help you know how to replace a green card.

How do I replace my lost or stolen green card?

I don't have my green card. Do I need to replace it?

Yes. If you live in the United States and your Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) was stolen, lost or destroyed you must replace it.


How do I apply to replace my green card?

You must obtain a form from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) called Form I-90. You can get this form by calling the USCIS at 800-870-3676 or by using the USCIS website at

Application form

You must fill out form I-90 by either typing or printing with black ink. Read the instructions carefully and mark any items that don’t apply to you as “N/A”. In addition to Form I-90, you must submit certain documents as part of your application for a replacement card.

Initial Evidence

You must submit what the INS calls “Initial Evidence”. This refers to documents that prove that you are who you say you are.

  • If you still have your previous card (and are replacing it because it was damaged) you may use a copy as your Initial Evidence.
  • If you lost your card or it was stolen, but you have a photocopy, you should submit it with your application.
  • You must file your application with a copy of some “identity document” such as a driver’s license, passport, non-driver ID card or birth certificate.


You must submit two passport-style photos (in color) with your application. Lightly print your A# on the back of each photo with a pencil.


Where do I file my Form I-90?

You must mail your form, along with your $450 application fee to:

P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036 

How much will it cost to get a new green card?

You will need to pay a fee in the amount of $365 and a biometrics fee of $85 for a total of $450. You must pay by check or money order, made out to “Department of Homeland Security”. However, you may qualify for a fee waiver if you are receiving a means-tested benefit or if your income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

To request a fee waiver, fill out form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver, and attach proof of your benefit or your income.


Who can I contact if I have questions?

You may call MFY Legal Services, Inc.'s Government Benefits Project at 212-417-3732 on Mondays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. If you are a mental health consumer you may call MFY's Mental Health Law Project intake line at 212-417-3830 on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


DISCLAIMER: This fact sheet gives general information for NYC residents. It is NOT legal advice.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: November 21, 2016