If you are a non-custodial parent (meaning that your child does not live with you), you can only give up (terminate) your parental rights if another person will agree to take your place as the second parent of your child.

For example, you are divorced and your son lives with your ex-wife. You pay child support, but you do not visit your son. You can volunteer to terminate your parental rights only if your ex-wife's new spouse will agree to adopt your son.

If your ex-wife's new spouse agrees to adopt your son, then you can terminate your parental rights. If your parental rights are terminated, you no longer have to pay child support and you no longer have any rights to visit with your son.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: April 20, 2017