LawHelpNY.orgNew York

I have an Order of Protection and it was violated

Authored By: New York State Unified Court System

It is a crime to violate a temporary or final order of protection.

If your order of protection was violated, you can call the police. The police will probably arrest the individual for violating the order of protection.

The individual does not have to hit you to violate the order. If the individual comes to your home and the order says he/she can't, then you can call the police.

You also have the right to file a violation of the order in Family Court, using the form below.

Filing a violation in Family Court usually will not result in arrest of the individual who has violated the order. You can choose to go to Family or criminal Court, or both.

More information from

Last Review and Update: Oct 19, 2019

LiveHelp is trying to contact an operator...