What to expect if your housing repairs case goes to trial
Authored By: Legal Services NYC
A trial happens where the parties in a case cannot come to an agreement to resolve the case.
Instead, the judge to looks at the evidence and decides the case.
If you need them, here are a few steps to prepare for a trial:
1. Make sure you have all of your evidence ready to bring with you on the trial date.
- If some of your bad conditions were not recorded as violations by HPD, you will need your own independent evidence (such as photos) for those things.
2. If you have any witnesses, make sure they come to court with you for the trial.
3. On the day of your trial, follow the same check in procedure above when you arrive at court
4. The HPD attorney will probably try to resolve your case again before the trial starts.
- If you and the landlord’s attorney and HPD cannot agree on a settlement then the trial will proceed.