New YorkNew York

Senior Citizens Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program

Authored By: New York City Department of Finance
Information SCRIE Brochure 2013


Senior Citizens Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program

Senior citizen tenants under rent control or rent stabilization may be entitled to an exemption from future rent increases under the Senior Citizens Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) Program. (Tenants apply for SCRIE to the NYC Department for the Aging When the landlord raises the rent for other tenants, tenants with SCRIE do not have to pay the increased rate. Instead of the increased rent, the landlord is eligible for an equivalent credit on his or her property taxes.

Your Role as a Landlord
As the property owner, you will receive a verification form from the Department for the Aging when one of your tenants applies for SCRIE. You will be asked to complete this form to verify your tenant's eligibility for the SCRIE abatement.

If the abatement is granted, the Department for the Aging will notify your tenant, you, and the Department of Finance. Tenants must renew their application every year.

Upon notification from Aging, Finance will automatically apply your SCRIE credit towards your property taxes. Approximately every three months, you will receive a Statement of Account showing the credit(s) you are receiving and how they are being applied.

Refunds for Excess SCRIE Credits
If all of your SCRIE credits are applied toward your property tax, and there is still a credit remaining, or if your receive your SCRIE credits after you - or your financial institution - have paid your property taxes, you may request that any excess SCRIE credit be refunded.

Property Refund Request
Download Form
Request a refund online

Generally, the current owner of the property should apply for the refund. In the case of cooperative apartment buildings, only the entity that is responsible for payment of property tax is entitled to apply for and receive the refund. You cannot receive a cash refund if you are in arrears in property tax for any other City property.

Contact Information
For program information and applications, contact

NYC Department for the Aging
212-442-1000. For Rent-regulated apartments

NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development
212-863-8494. For Mitchell-Lama, Redevelopment Company developments, Article XI co-ops, Federally-assisted co-ops

SCRIE Brochure 2013

Last Review and Update: Jun 01, 2013

LiveHelp is trying to contact an operator...