New York Hotlines List
Please note: If there are other hotlines that you think should be listed here, please send them to: IRamirez@nylawhelp.org.
Most of the hotlines listed below provide help in English and Spanish.
General Legal Information and Advice Public Benefits
Consumer Crime Victims
Domestic Violence, Rape, and Other Crimes Disability
Family Law (Other Than Domestic Violence) Education
Social Security Benefits Unemployment Benefits
Veterans Crisis Counseling
- City Bar Justice Center Legal Hotline: This hotline list is available Monday through Friday, 9am-1pm and 2pm-5pm. Call them at 212-626-7383 (NYC only)
- Lawyers Alliance Hotline for Nonprofits: We provide general information over the telephone on legal issues of importance to nonprofit staff and Board members, lawyers, regulators, and members of the general public. Call their Hotline at (212) 219-1800 x 224 and leave a message with your nonprofit legal question. A staff member will return your call with the answer you need or a helpful referral.
- Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc.- Provides hotline assistance to low income residents of Erie and Niagara Counties. Callers can receive legal advice and information on a variety of issues via phone with the Civil Unit. These issues involve questions relating to a variety of needs, including, but not limited to, accessing court services, unemployment, discrimination, housing and foreclosure issues, family matters, or help understanding legal procedures. The phone number is: 716-853-9555.
Legal Aid Society of Mid New York Helpline: Provides advice and brief service to low-income clients in LASMNY’s thirteen-county service area on any type of civil legal problem. The HelpLine serves as the single-point-of-entry intake system for LASMNY. New clients can call either a toll-free number or local office number to access the HelpLine intake unit. The HelpLine attorneys provide advice and/or brief service to the client, including self-help materials as appropriate. If extended service for the client’s particular legal problem is available, the HelpLine attorney transfers the case electronically to the appropriate extended service advocate. Toll Free: 1-877-777-6152
The HelpLine is open
Monday through Friday
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Please Note: Hours may change for holidays,
staff training, or other reasons.
Central New York Legal Helpline: By calling the Central New York Legal HelpLine, you can get free legal advice about civil (non-criminal) legal problems. Click here for more info. Broome, Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego and Otsego Counties.
If you live in one of these counties (or if you have a legal problem in one of these counties), please call: Toll Free: 1-877-777-6152.
- Pro Bono Partnership, Inc. Legal Resource Helpline: Speak to a Partnership staff attorney for advice on quick not for profit legal questions. See below for numbers to call:
New York & Fairfield
Connecticut (other than
237 Mamaroneck Avenue
300 Lanidex Plaza
280 Trumbull Street
|White Plains, NY 10605||Parsippany, NJ 07054||Hartford, CT 06103|
|Phone: 914-328-0674||Phone: 973-240-6955||Phone: 860-541-4951|
|Fax: 914-328-0538||Fax: 973-240-6966||Fax: 860-275-8299|
- Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (State Social Services) - Public Benefits information available from this hotline, including information about food stamps, HEAP, temporary assistance, call thme at: 1-800-342-3009.
- NYC Human Resource Administration (HRA) Infoline - The HRA Infoline has information on entitlements and public benefits for NYC: 718-557-1399.
- Legal Aid Society Access to Benefits hotline - Individuals in need of assistance with their public assistance and employment matters, including unemployment insurance benefits, should call the Access to Benefits Helpline on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm. For assistance with Medicaid and public health insurance, call the A2B Helpline toll-free number on Tuesdays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- New York State Crime Victims Board: 1-800-247-8035. For the Hearing Impaired – TTY 1-888-289-9747.
[Back to Top]
- NEDAP’s NYC Financial Rights Hotline: Tuesday & Wednesday 12pm to 3pm, Thursday, 12pm to 2pm, call them at; (212) 925-4929, (NYC only).
- Legal Services NYC Student Loan Legal Assistance Hotline: Available for NYC residents in English and Spanish. Call 718-237-5564 and leave your name and number on the hotline voice mail and an advocate will call you back in 48 hours.
- Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA): Available for residents of New York City dial 311 or 212-NEW-YORK outside the five boroughs.
- Department of State, Division of Consumer Protection: Available for residents of New York State in English and Spanish. Call 518 474-8583
- Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline: Provides information and support to people with memory loss, caregivers, health care professionals and the general public. The Helpline can also give you referrals to local community programs, services and ongoing support. Call them at; 1-800-272-3900 or TDD 1-866-403-3073.
- New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence 24-hour hotline: English - 1-800-942-6906. Spanish - 1-800-942-6908. (Statewide)
- In NYC: 1-800-621-HOPE (4673) or dial 311.
- Domestic Violence NYC City-Wide Hotline and Online Resource: All languages, referred to shelters, legal assistance, counseling, other benefits. 24 -hour-hotline: English - 1-800-942-6906. Spanish - 1-800-942-6908.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
- Safe Horizon’s Domestic Violence Hotline: 24-hour hotline: 1-800-621-HOPE (4673). (NYC only)
- Safe Horizon’s Crime Victims Hotline : 24-hour-hotline; 1-866-689-HELP (4357) (NYC only)
- Safe Horizon’s Rape, Sexual Assault & Incest Hotline: 24-hour-hotline: 212-227-3000 or 866-689-HELP (4357). (NYC only)
- National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline: 1 866 331-9474 and 1 866 331-8453 TTY.
- NYC Anti-Violence Project (specifically for the LGBTQ Community): 24-hour-hotline: 212-714-1141. (NYC only)
- Battered Women's Legal Hotline: 718-624-7700.
- Sexual Assault/Incest hotline: 212-227-3000.
- Dominican Women’s Development Center (DWDC): 24-hour hotline: 212-568-6616.
- The Family Violence Hotline of the Jewish Board of Family and Children Services Crisis - intervention, counseling, residential services (shelter): Hotline: 718-237-1337.
- Center Against Domestic Violence, Women's Survival Space, Women's Second Start; offers free services in Spanish, Haitian Creole, polish and French. Services include community education/training, domestic violence, shelter/housing assistance. 25 Chapel Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201. Their hotline is: 718-429-1000.
- The Park Slope Safe Homes Project - provides short-term shelter, counseling, advocacy and support groups for battered women and their children in the Park Slope, Brooklyn area. English, Spanish, Arabic. The 24 -hour-hotline is: 718-499-2151.
- New York Asian Women's Center - provides services tailored to Asian women's cultural, social, economic, and legal circumstances. Their 24/7 Multilingual Hotline is: 888-888-7702.
- Suffolk County Coalition Against Domestic Violence - 24-hour hotline: 631-666-8833.
- My Sister's Place Crisis Hotline: For victims of domestic violence. Available 24 hours a day: 1.800.298.7233 (SAFE).
- Urban Justice Center Domestic Violence Hotline and Intake: Provides crisis counseling, clinical and legal, Monday through Friday from 9 to 5. Intake & Hotline Number is: (718) 875-5062.
- LIFT - Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm, (212) 343 -1122. (Statewide).
- New York State Central Register for Child Abuse and Maltreatment - Their Child Abuse Hotline number is; (800) 342-3720.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline - gives information about where to file and how to make a report. Open; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, call them at: 800-422-4453.
- New York State Child Support Helpline - 1 888 208-4485.
- Central American Legal Assistance (CALA) - CALA has a 24 hour information line which explains our office hours, how to apply for current special immigration programs (eg.the student DACA program), any deadlines and general brief information on what is happening of concern to our clients. The message is in Spanish. Call: (718) 486-6800.
- Advocates for Children – Monday through Thursday, 10am to 4pm, call them at 866-427-6033, (NYC only).
- Student Loan Legal Assistance Hotline for Veterans - When you call, leave a message and you will get a call back. A Joint Project of NEDAP and South Brooklyn Legal Services. Call them at 718 237-5564 (NYC only).
[Back to Top]
- HOPE NOW Hotline – for homeowners who feel they have been the victim of a Loan Modification scam. 24-hour-hotline; 888-995-HOPE (4673). Statewide
- Center for New York City Neighborhoods (CNYCN) - 311 or 646-786-0888 (NYC only).
Brooklyn Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project Foreclosure Assistance - Intake Advocates provide, as appropriate, advice and counsel, legal information and targeted referrals to callers in need of immediate assistance. Callers who will need further assistance and who will become pro bono clients are asked a series of questions relevant to the practice area and then are advised to bring in all relevant documents and court papers for review before being assigned pro bono counsel. The number is: 718-624-3894, its available:
Tues, Wed, Thurs
from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Housing Court Answers: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 9am to 5pm - Not on Fridays. Call them at; 212-962-4795 (NYC only).
- LawNY Fair Housing Enforcement Project (FHEP): Hotline for housing discrimination complaints from anywhere in the 14-County LawNY service areas. Click here for a list of the 14 counties covered. Call them at; 1-866-671-FAIR (3247).
- Legal Aid Society of New York Homeless Family Rights Hotline: Homeless families with children and homeless single adults can call to eceive information regarding emergency housing, public assistance benefits, special grants, and permanent housing relocation. When to Call: Telephone intake for homeless families with children every Tuesday from 10:00am 12:00 pm. Emergencies at all other times. The phone number is: 1 (800) 649-9125.
- Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. Helpline: Intake paralegal can provide basic information and brief service in landlord/tenant matters. The phone number is: (800) 454-3627.
- Urban Justice Center Hotline for Homeless Youth: If you are a homeless or street-involved young person (under age 25) who lives in New York City, you can make an appointment with Urban Justice Center by calling 646-602-5635, 646-602-5631 or our toll-free number, 1-877-LGBT-LAW.
Tenants’ Rights Telephone Hotline (NYC) Met Council on Housing: 212 979-0611. This hotline is available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- New York State Immigration Hotline: Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm, call them at; 1-800-566-7636 (Statewide)
- Legal Aid Society Access to Benefut Immigration Helpline: 1-844-955-3425. The Immigration Helpline operates on Mondays and Fridays from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm.
- USCIS Free Legal Advice Hotline for Detained Immigrants: will allow detained individuals to contact federal immigration authorities if they believe they may be victims or the crime, or if they are U.S. citizens or residents being unlawfully detained. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days. The toll free number is; (855) 448- 6903,Translation services in several languages will be provided.
- Legal Aid Society’s Haitian Temporary Protected Status (TPS) Hotline - Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm, 1-888-284-2772.
- Rapid Response Network Hotline - has been launched for migrants in New York and New Jersey to call at the time of contact with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Call them at; 1-800-308-0878.
- Immigrant Defense Project Hotline - for people or families of those facing in detention and/or facing deportation - Open; Tues & Thurs 2-4:30, call them at; (212) 725-6422 (nationwide)
Catholic Charities New York State (NYS) New Americans Hotline: 1-212-419-3737 or 1-800-566-7636 (Toll-free in NYS)
Daily News/Citizenship NOW! Hotline: English: (212) 590-1613; Español: (212) 590-1618
Central American Refugee Center (CARECEN): CARECEN provides free counseling via telephone to low-income people on basic immigration matters for English- and Spanish-speaking immigrants and their family members. Those eligible for services are referred to their scheduler for application preparation. The number is: (516) 489-8330.
LatinoJustice PRLDEF: Their telephone service provides legal advice and referrals in Spanish and English for Latinos on issues of housing, employment, immigration, discrimination, civil rights violations and hate crimes. The number is: 800-328-2322.
Legal Aid Society Immigration Law Unit Hotline: Non-citizen New Yorkers detained by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) at the Bergen, Monmouth, Hudson and Sussex County Jails in New Jersey and/or their family members, may call for advice and possible legal representation on their cases. Immigrants detained at other immigration detention facilities and in upstate New York prisons and/or their family members can call the hotline for advice only.
When to Call: The hotline operates on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1:00p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Collect calls from detention facilities and prisons are accepted. The nunber is: (212) 577-3456.
- Office of the Attorney General Healthcare Helpline - 1-800-428-9071
- Community Health Advocates Hotline - Operators answer questions regarding health insurance (Medicaid, Family Health Plus, Child Health Plus, Medicare, commercial insurance, the uninsured, etc) and health access. They can also help find insurance, dispute insurance company denials, and help people with medical and hospital bills they can’t afford. Open; Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm. Call them at; 888-614-5400.
- NY Health Options/Medicaid Helpline – 1-800-541-2831
- Medicare Rights Center – 1-800-333-4114 (Statewide)
- Social Security Administration - Monday through Friday, 7am to 7pm,call them at; 1-800-772-1213, (TTY number, 1-800-325-0778)
- Legal Services NYC Unemployment Insurance Project – (646) 442-3332 (NYC only)
- LawNY Veterans Civil Legal Hotline: The hotline is available in all languages for any veteran anywhere with any issue. LawNY also provides free civil legal services to Veterans and their families in a fourteen county area. Click here to see the counties they cover. The services they provide include homelessness prevention, foreclosure assistance, disability benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, and public benefits. They also refer callers to local Veteran services and organizations. The number is: 315-828-0758.
- Department of Veteran Affairs – 1-877-222-VETS (8387) For Veterans Benefits information - 1-800-827-1000
- 877-4AID-VET - Since March 2010, VA has offered a toll-free telephone number, staffed around the clock by trained professionals, to help homeless Veterans, their families and at-risk people. The number is (or 877-424-3838).
- Veterans Crisis Line: Is there someone to call if a veteran is in crisis or at risk of suicide? Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or chat online at www.VeteransCrisisLine.net to receive free, confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even if they are not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care.
- Homeless Veteran in need of help? Call 1-877-4AID VET (1-877-424-3838). Visit their website for more info.
- 1-800-LIFENET - LifeNet provides free professional help with an emotional crisis, substance abuse problems, and suicide counseling. Information also can be found online at www.800LIFENET.org. You can call 24 hours per day/7 days per week; 1-800-543-3638. (For NYC Only).
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline – 1-800 273-8255.
Aid Hotlines: If you are dealing with a legal issue as a result of Sandy, the following legal aid programs are providing Sandy legal hotlines.
- Legal Services NYC: (347) 592-2411
- City Bar Justice Center: (212) 626-7383
- The Legal Aid Society's Access to Benefits Hotline: (888) 663-6880
- New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG): (212) 584-3365 OR Email: email@example.com
- Touro Law Center (Long Island): (631) 761-7198 OR Email: TLCHEART@TouroLaw.edu
- NYS Hurricane Sandy Emergency Assistance: (855) 697-7263
- NY Disaster Interfaith Services Case Management & Referral line: (855) 258 -0483
- NYC Housing Recovery Desk: (212) 863-5710
- National Grid Repairs: (855) 496-9359
- MFY hotline: (212) 417-3803
- Make the Road: (718) 418-7690
Disaster Case Management (DCM): 1-855-258-0483. Disaster Case Management Program - http://www.sandydcm.org/
For Aging/Elderly: 1-800-342-9871
REPORT SANDY FRAUD
National Center for Disaster Fraud
Suspected fraudulent activity pertaining to relief efforts associated with Hurricane Sandy should be reported to the toll-free NCDF hotline at 866-720-5721. The hotline is staffed by a live operator 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for the purpose of reporting suspected scams being perpetrated by criminals in the aftermath of disasters.
FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
Report Sandy Fraud in NYC by calling 3-1-1. Read more here: http://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-