If you are planning a funeral, you have many decisions to make. You may feel overwhelmed or confused. Funeral homes are licensed by the state and must follow the rules.
Funeral homes cannot:
- pressure the customer to select certain services or merchandise
- charge an additional fee for filing the death certificate or getting it medically certified
- charge a "handling fee" for paying third parties on your behalf
- charge a fee for handling a casket provided by the customer
- charge for any service or merchandise not selected by the customer
- charge interest on an outstanding balance unless this charge is disclosed at the time the funeral arrangements were initially made and is stated in the "Itemized Statement"
- have someone other than a licensed funeral director make funeral arrangements, prepare the body, or supervise the burial
- misrepresent laws and regulations about funeral directing
- You do not have to accept services or merchandise you don't want!
- You must be informed of all charges in advance!
- Always get a receipt!
Read this brochure to learn more before you make any commitments or decisions.
Última revisión: April 27, 2023