shutterstock_2224390You do not need to have legal immigration status to get help with domestic violence

There are certain rights you have in New York State even if you do not have legal immigration status:

  • You have the right to call the police if you feel you are in danger inside or outside your home.  Just call 911.
  • You have the right to go to Family Court to file for an order of protection, custody of your children, and/or child support.  You do not need legal immigration status to file for these protections.
  • You have the right to apply for cash assistance, Food Stamps, and Medicaid for your children if they are U.S. citizens.

For more information, call the New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence 24-hour hotline at 1-800-942-6906