The New York State Attorney General created AGScamHelp.com to help New Yorkers identify scams, find trustworthy help through the Homeowner Protection Program (HOPP), and report potential scammers directly to the Attorney General’s office. prevent New Yorkers from becoming victims of these terrible scams. Visit the Attorney General's new website AGScamHelp.com if you think you have been a victim of a foreclosure scam.
The Empire Justice Center developed a great resource on foreclosure prevention. This guide is designed to empower you with knowledge of the mortgage foreclosure process so you can do your best to prevent the loss of your home through foreclosure.
LawHelpNY has numerous resources regarding scams. Below are some general tips on avoiding on avoiding scams created by Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York. For more in depth visit the resource, here.
DON'T DEAL WITH A DOOR TO DOOR CONTRACTOR
- If you already signed a contract, you may be able to cancel it: New York State and Federal Laws provide special protections in the case of door-to-door sales.
- Check references
- Don't pay everything up front. Instead, make the agreement so that at least the final payment is made only upon satisfactory completion of work.
- Ask to be put on "Do Not Call List" and report violations to the Attorney General's Office
- Call 1-888-5OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688)
- Be careful giving out personal information. Do not give your mother's maiden name, your credit card number, Social Security number, etc. to someone you don't know.