Learn how to file a complaint with DCA, Department of Consumer Affairs and reasons why you would want to file a complaint. DCA licenses 55 types of industries, like contractors, used car dealers, parking garages. Remember to work with licensed businesses. Even if a business is not licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs they must comply with the law. The law prohibits businesses from engaging in illegal behavior, false advertising, and more.

Two ways to file a complaint:

1. Online 

2. Mail

  • Download and complete our complaint form (in PDF)
  • Submit TWO copies of the completed form and related documents (e.g., store receipts, warranties, contracts, etc.). Do not send originals.

Mailing Address:

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

Consumer Services Division

42 Broadway, 9th Floor

New York, NY 10004


(212) 487-4482