City Bar Justice Center - Veterans' Assistance Project
Who We Are
The Veterans' Assistance Project provides pro bono assistance to veterans in connection with the filing of disability benefit claims before the New York Regional Office of the Department of Veteran Affairs. Veterans who have legal assistance filling out their initial benefits claims upon discharge are more likely to receive the benefits to which they are entitled, and are less likely to need to appeal in the future.
How to Get Help
At this time we are offering remote services. Please call 1 (877) 564-3383 Monday-Friday, 9:30am-5:30pm, for an initial intake done by phone. Eligible clients will be scheduled for one of the project's monthly legal clinics where an attorney will conduct a more thorough intake. Please have discharge papers (DD214) available.
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Circumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
We can provide interpretation services for many languages on request.
- Income Guidelines
Will accept clients up to 350% of FPIG.
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
- Eligibility Restrictions
For help, you must be:
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Pro Se Legal Clinic
- Self-Help Materials
- Description of Services
Legal education materials
- Emergency Instructions
What is an Emergency? If someone needs assistance before our next scheduled clinic.