Legal Aid Society: Employment Law Unit
Who We Are
The Legal Aid Society’s Employment Law Unit provides legal services to low-wage and unemployed workers. Assistance is typically provided to individuals with issues involving unemployment insurance, wage and hour violations, family and medical leave claims, and workplace discrimination – including discrimination based on past involvement with the criminal justice system and labor trafficking.
How to Get Help
At this time, The Legal Aid Society is offering remote services by phone. Reach us via our Main Number (212) 577-3300 or Helpline 1-888-663-6880, staffed Mon-Fri 10am-3pm.
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Language(s) Spoken
- Korean / 한국어
- Mandarin Chinese / 简体中文
- Spanish / Español
- Circumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
- Income Guidelines
Clients with incomes at or below 200% of the poverty level may be represented if they fall within certain exceptions.
- Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Description of Services
We may also provide assistance in ERISA administrative appeals (appeals of health and retirement/pension benefits decisions).
Also provides limited services.