Legal Aid Society: Health Law Unit
Who We Are
The Legal Aid Society's Health Law Unit provides advice and representation to low-income New Yorkers facing problems accessing health insurance or health care services throughout the five boroughs of New York City. In addition, the Health Law Unit operates a statewide Helpline to assist individuals and advocates throughout New York State. The Health Law Unit assists clients and advocates on a range of access and navigational issues within the following public and private health insurance programs - Medicaid, Medicaid Managed Care and Managed Long Term Care, Child Health Plus, Medicare, Qualified Health Plans, and Fully Integrated Duals Advantage. These issues include barriers to enrollment and retention of public health insurance, denials of health care services, and coordination of health benefits. In addition, the Health Law Unit advocates for access to health care for the uninsured and underinsured, immigrants' access to health care and reduction of medical debt.
How to Get Help
At this time we are offering remote services. Please call our hotline (888) 663-6880 during our intake hours Tuesdays from 9:30am-12:30pm. Have all the papers related to your legal problem on hand when you call.
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Additional Service Area Info
- Provide advice only to Upstate callers.
- Language(s) Spoken
- Tigrinya / Ge'ez
- Tohono O'odham / O'odham ñiok
- Toisanese / 白 沙 镇
- Circumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
Can arrange for interpreters for all languages.
- Income Guidelines
We can take clients up to 200% of the FPIG on a case by case basis.
The Society's Health Law Unit provides managed care consumer advocacy and Medicare D advocacy services to New Yorkers in need, regardless of income.
Clients are responsible for filing fees and some other types of court costs.
- Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Self-Help Materials
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Pro Se Legal Clinic
- Description of Services
Please note, we can provide health care proxies and Power of Attorney, but not wills.