Mobilization for Justice, Inc. - SRO Law Project
Who We Are
Mobilization for Justice, Inc., formerly MFY Legal Services, has provided quality legal assistance to low-income, elderly and disabled residents since its founding in 1963. The SRO Law Project provides direct legal services to SRO residents, as well as residents of three-quarter houses, to prevent evictions, improve conditions, and preserve the existing SRO housing stock.
At this time we are offering remote services via an updated phone intake line, email, online intake portals, and social media.
Who We Serve
- Bronx County
- Kings (Brooklyn) County
- New York (Manhattan) County
- Queens County
- Richmond (Staten Island) County
- Additional Service Area Info
- MFJ's SRO Law Project assists and represents tenants of SRO hotels, rooming houses, and lodging houses on Manhattan's East Side from 14th Street to 97th Street between 5th Avenue and the East River, and all of Manhattan below 14th Street, as well as tenants in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island.
- Language(s) Spoken
- Cantonese Chinese / 粵語
- Chinese (Traditional) / 中文
- French / Français
- Fuganese / 平話
- Haitian Creole / Kreyòl Ayisyen
- Hindi / हिन्दी
- Mandarin Chinese / 简体中文
- Spanish / Español
- Tagalog / Pilipino
- Urdu / اردو
- Circumstances and languages in which interpreters are provided
In house translation is provided for languages listed above; for other languages, telephonic translation is provided.
En Español: Proveemos traducción interno para los idiomas mencionados antes. Para los otros idiomas traducción telefónica es disponible.
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Brief Advice
- Self-Help Materials
- Full Legal Representation
- Description of Services
Mobilization for Justice, Inc. defends SRO tenants in nonpayment and holdover proceedings and assists with benefits issues related to a tenant's ability to retain or prevent the loss of SRO housing.
Mobilization for Justice, Inc. also provides Community Legal Education.
- Emergency Instructions
What is an eviction emergency? If you are being illegally evicted, being evicted with Marshal's Notice, or have been locked out by your landlord, come to our office between 9am-12pm and ask to speak to the attorney on call for emergencies.
If you are unable to come in person, call 212-417-3700 and state that you have an eviction emergency.
How to Get Help
You can contact this organization by:
- 100 William Street, 6th floor (map)Manhattan, NY 10038
- Phone Number
- 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
MFJ's SRO Law Project assists and represents tenants of SRO hotels, rooming houses, and lodging houses on Manhattan's East Side from 14th Street to 97th Street between 5th Avenue and the East River, and all of Manhattan below 14th Street, as well as tenants in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Staten Island. Mobilization for Justice defends SRO tenants in nonpayment and holdover proceedings and assists with benefits issues related to a tenant's ability to retain or prevent the loss of SRO housing.