Nassau Suffolk Law Services - The Public Benefits Unit
Who We Are
Nassau Suffolk Law Services is a nonprofit, public interest law firm that provides free legal assistance in civil matters to low income and disabled Long Islanders. The Public Benefits Unit provides legal assistance to persons who experience problems with public benefits programs administered by the local Departments of Social Services, including:
- Welfare (TANF and Safety Net)
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Child Care Assistance
- Emergency shelter for the homeless
- Other emergency assistance programs.
We also assist low-income households in establishing Supplemental Needs Trusts to eliminate the Medicaid spend-down and assist homeless families to obtain rent supplements from DSS to leave the shelters or retain permanent housing.
1 Helen Keller Way – 5th Floor
Hempstead, NY 11550
1757 Veterans Highway – Suite 50
Islandia, NY 11749
400 West Main Street, Suite 301
Riverhead, NY 11901
How to Get Help
Please call during our regular business hours, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Nassau residents please call (516) 292-8100. Suffolk residents please call (631) 232-2400.
Who We Serve
- Nassau County
- Suffolk County
- Language(s) Spoken
- Spanish / Español
- Your family's income should be at or below the following percentage of the federal poverty level
- Is this organization accessible by wheelchair?
- Does this organization provide access for the hearing impaired?
Type of Help
- This group provides the following types of services based on your legal needs and its resources:
- Full Legal Representation
- Brief Advice
- Self-Help Materials
- Emergency Instructions
If you are homeless and DSS refuses to place you in temporary housing, or you do not have access to food or prescription medication and DSS refuses to assist you, you may be experiencing a legal emergency and the Public Benefits Unit can assist you.