If you are a member of the Armed Forces, Reserves, National Guard, or other uniformed services and need to end your lease early due to military service, you have legal protections under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Under the SCRA, you have the right to terminate your lease early without facing penalties if you receive military orders requiring you to move. To do this, you will need to provide a written letter to your landlord and include a copy of your military orders.

Your landlord cannot demand any penalties for ending the lease early, and they must refund your security deposit (minus any damages) within 30 days of lease termination. Additionally, any prepaid rent that remains unused must be refunded to you.

An easy-to-use interactive form is available to help you create a letter. You will need to:

  1. Answer a few questions.
  2. Print out the form.
  3. Proofread and sign it.
  4. Attach a copy of your orders.
  5. Keep copies for your records.
  6. Send the original with attachments to your landlord.
Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: May 26, 2023