To qualify you must meet these conditions:

1. You completed the first full term of enlistment, except where discharge or early release was for:

  • Government convenience under an early release program
  • Medical disqualification, pregnancy, parenthood, or any service-incurred injury or disability
  • Hardship
  • Personality disorder or inaptitude (but only with a year of continuous service)


2. Wages earned while in the reserves can be used to establish a claim, if a reservist has 90 consecutive days of active duty service on or before November 24, 2015, or 180 consecutive days of active duty service on or after November 25, 2015.


3. You received your discharge under honorable conditions. If you were an officer, you did not resign for the good of the service. We will base your weekly benefit rate on your high quarter earnings in your base period.

We base your earnings in military service on a Federal schedule that takes into account the base pay in your last grade, plus allowances for food and clothing.

Please have your most recent separation (Form DD214, Member 4) with you when you file your claim.

Mail a copy of this form to the Telephone Claim Center to process your claim.

Note: New York's Wage Reporting System does not show wages earned with the Federal Government, a branch of military service, or on work done outside of New York State.

Thus, the initial Monetary Determination may not list them. Follow the instructions on the Monetary Determination for missing employment and earnings, so we can use those wages to calculate your correct benefit rate.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: September 22, 2021