What is Partner Notification?
Letting sexual and needle-sharing partners know they may have been exposed to HIV. You can get help and/or:
- have a counselor tell your partners for you without ever revealing your identity;
- tell your partners with the help of your doctor or counselor; or
- tell your partners yourself
Why is HIV reporting and notifying partners important?
The New York State Department of Health needs information about the HIV/AIDS cases to help prevent cases and care for people. Partner notification is important because:
- It helps people who have been exposed to HIV learn about their risk so they can get tested.
- If they test positive, they can learn about treatment that may help them live longer, healthier lives.
- If they test positive, they can learn about ways to prevent passing HIV to others.
- If they test negative, they can learn how to stay that way.
Last Reviewed: May 17, 2023