If you're applying for or receiving public assistance, you'll likely have to participate in work activities. DSS may assign various work activities, including job readiness, job search, community service, and education. If you're under 20 and don't have a high school diploma or GED, DSS will assign you educational activities.

You can be exempt from work activities if you are under 16 or over 60, attending school full-time, have a temporary illness or injury, are disabled, or caring for a family member with a disability.

If you think you're exempt, let the Department of Social Services (DSS) know and provide proof. If you have a medical condition that limits your ability to work, inform DSS and provide medical evidence. DSS will review your situation and inform you in writing.

If DSS denies your exemption and you disagree, you can request a Fair Hearing.

Remember, if you fail to comply with work requirements without a good reason, your benefits may be reduced or stopped temporarily.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: July 14, 2023