This is a guide for people who have been convicted of a crime and want to work in New York State. When you're looking for a job, there might be some challenges you face because of your criminal record. This guide will teach you how to deal with those challenges and give you steps to find and keep a job.
You will learn:
- how to get a copy of your criminal history and fix any mistakes
- what your rights are when it comes to what employers can ask about your arrests and convictions
- how to handle any restrictions on licenses or hiring
- how to answer questions about your criminal history on job applications and in interviews
- how to make yourself a strong candidate for any job, and
- where to find other helpful resources.
This guide can help you with every point in the process of finding a job, from getting organized before you are released to tips to help you succeed once you get the job.
Last Reviewed: May 19, 2023