If you have a criminal record, you can get a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct. These can help you with your job search and other opportunities.

These certificates show proof that you have made steps to move on from your record. They do not seal or erase your record, but they do help you get back certain rights you may have lost due to a conviction.

Employers, licensing agencies, and others have to consider you for jobs, occupational licenses, housing, and more. This means they cannot disqualify you only based on your record.

To apply for one of these certificates, you usually can only have one felony conviction. The application process will include an investigation by the court or parole officers.

Read Legal Action Center’s guide for more about:

  • the eligibility rules
  • the different rights restored by each certificate type
  • and step-by-step instructions for applying.
Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: May 21, 2024