The J-1 visa, also known as the exchange visitor visa, is for people who want to come to the United States to do things like teach, study, do research, or get special training. The U.S. Department of State is in charge of this program, and they work with organizations that sponsor exchange visitors.

These visitors can be professors, students, researchers, teachers, specialists, and more. In some cases, their families can come too, and they might be allowed to work.

If you want to get a J-1 visa, you need to work with a sponsoring organization. They'll help you with the paperwork, and then you can apply for the visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure to check the rules about working because it depends on the program.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: October 19, 2023