You may be eligible for help with back rent if you are at risk of losing your apartment. Grants and loans are available from the government and from private charity sources.

A "one-shot deal" is an interest-free loan or a grant from the government to help tenants with back rent. To qualify, you must show:

  • you can pay your ongoing rent
  • you had a good reason for falling behind in rent
  • you are following the rules and process (if you have a court case for eviction. Note: You do not need to have an eviction case to qualify). 

A few programs provide rental assistance every month (FHEPS, HASA, and Section 8).

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: March 28, 2023