If you are an immigrant who has a case in Family Court, consult this guide from Family Legal Care with answers to common questions, like: 

  • If I am a non-citizen or an undocumented person, can I file a petition in Family Court?

  • Is it legal for a parent to take a child out of the U.S.?

  • If a parent paying child support moves outside of the U.S. and stops paying, how can I get the money?

  • If I am not a U.S. citizen, can I get an order of protection?

  • I am an undocumented immigrant and a victim of domestic violence. Can I get a green card without my spouse?

  • If I am undocumented and a victim of domestic violence, could I become a lawful permanent resident even if I am not married?

  • Can an undocumented immigrant child in foster care or in a guardianship situation get lawful permanent residency?

  • Will the Family Court report me to immigration if it finds out that I am undocumented?

  • Can Family Court proceedings harm my immigration status?

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: April 26, 2023