If you've come to the United States as a refugee or received asylum status in the past 2 years and you want to bring your spouse here, you will need to:

  1. Fill out Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition.
  2. Prove that you are a refugee or have asylee status.
  3. Provide a recent, clear photo of your spouse.
  4. Include a copy of your marriage certificate.
  5. If either you or your spouse were previously married, include copies of divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees.
  6. If there have been legal name changes for either of you, show evidence of those changes.

You must submit the Form I-730 for your spouse within 2 years of when you were granted asylum or admitted as a refugee. In some cases, this time frame can be extended for special reasons.

If your spouse is outside the U.S., they will be told to visit the local U.S. consulate to finish the process. If your spouse is already in the U.S., you'll get a notification if the application is approved.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: October 19, 2023