This checklist can help you get ready for housing court. You won't need or have everything on the list. And there may be some other things you should bring too.
- All court papers and papers from the landlord.
- The original lease and renewal leases.
- Proof of rent payments: rent receipts, canceled checks or copies of money orders.
- Records of apartment and building problems, including problems with heat, hot water, and all other repairs and services.
- Photographs of problems in your apartment or building. Label the photograph with the date it was taken and what is pictured.
- Copies of letters or other documents you sent to the landlord, superintendent or government agencies about problems in the apartment or building.
- Receipts for work and materials if the landlord did not respond to your requests and you had to make repairs yourself.
- List of dates you talked to the landlord, superintendent or other building staff about problems in the apartment or building.
- If your case is scheduled for a hearing or trial, bring witnesses to testify.
- Anything else you believe will help your case.
Last Reviewed: March 30, 2023