If you are having problems with your heat or hot water, and your landlord is not fixing them, keep a record (log). Write down the problems and events when they happen. You can use your records as evidence in a court case.
These are the heat & hot water rules for landlords:
- Heating Season is Between October 1st and May 31st -
- During the Day - If below 55°F outside; Inside should be at least 68°F
- At Night: No matter what the temperature is outside, inside should be at least 62°F
- Hot Water: all year at 120°F
A good record of heat or hot water problems includes:
- Calls to the 311 Complaint Number
- Outdoor Temperature
- Temperature Inside the Apartment
- Hot Water? (Yes or No)
- Witness (if you have one)
Click below for an example of a log you can use to keep your records.
Last Reviewed: August 31, 2023