How to complain to the city when you have a health or safety issue in your home:

If you have a problem with heat/hot water, roaches, leaks, or other needed repairs-- contact your landlord first to fix it. If they don't respond, contact 311 (call, online, or mobile app) to complain. Know your rights! Your immigration status does not matter!

311 will send the complaint to the Dept. of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD).  HPD's job is to make sure the landlord fixes the problem. See the flyer below or click "Learn more" find out what happens when you call 311.

Or schedule an appointment with HPD to report a problem.





Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: August 10, 2023