If you are unable to manage your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits (or if the Social Security Administration (SSA) thinks you can't) you will need someone to serve as your representative payee (often called a rep payee or payee). Your payee will be responsible for taking care of your benefits, and should be someone who cares about you and whom you trust to handle your money.

To get a representative payee for your Social Security benefits, reach out to your local SSA office by phone, online, or in person to request a representative payee. You can find the nearest office by visiting the SSA's website or calling their toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 between 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

If circumstances change, you or your authorized representative can request a change of payee. The SSA may also initiate a change if there are concerns about the payee's performance or if the your circumstances change. The termination of a payee can occur if the beneficiary's capacity to manage their funds improves or if the payee fails to fulfill their responsibilities.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: July 6, 2023