If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States and your green card is lost, stolen, damaged, or expired, you will need to replace it.

Here are the steps to replace a green card:

  1. File Form I-90: You have to complete a form called "Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card" (Form I-90). You can do this online on the USCIS website or by sending a paper application through the mail.

  2. Get your documents ready: You'll need to provide some documents along with the application. These could be identification papers, proof of your status as a permanent resident, and a copy of your old green card if you have one.

  3. Pay the fee: There's a fee you need to pay when submitting the form. Check the current fee amount on the USCIS website. If you can't afford the fee, you might qualify for a waiver.

  4. Submit the application: If you're applying online, you can submit everything electronically. If you're using the paper application, mail it along with the required documents and payment (if applicable) to the USCIS Lockbox facility.

  5. Attend a biometrics appointment: After you submit the application, USCIS will schedule an appointment for you at a local Application Support Center (ASC). They will take your fingerprints, photo, and signature for security checks.

  6. Wait for processing: USCIS will review your application, and it may take a few months. You can check the status of your application online.

  7. Receive your new green card: If your application is approved, you will get a new green card in the mail. Remember to keep it safe and prevent it from getting lost or stolen again.

If you are outside the U.S. and need a new green card, the process might be different. In that case, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for guidance.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: July 20, 2023