The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) provides protection and immigration options for victims of domestic violence who are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or are the child of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

To qualify, you must prove that you are or were subjected to physical or extreme emotional abuse by the U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent.

VAWA allows you to self-petition for a green card (permanent residency) without the abuser's knowledge or consent.

It's important to talk with an immigration attorney or a qualified legal service provider who specializes in immigration law to assess your eligibility and navigate the application process for these options. You can find help using website.

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: October 19, 2023