LawHelpNY.orgNew York

Key documents for immigrants at risk of deportation

Read this in:
Spanish / Español

Keep a file of all these documents in a safe place. Make a copy and leave with a trusted friend or family member.

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Marriage license (if applicable)
  • A-number and any immigration documents, for example:
    • Work permit
    • Green card
    • Visa
    • TPS (temporary protected status) card
    • Any previous deportation orders
  • Driver’s license or other identification card
  • Social Security card or ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number)
  • Registry of birth for any children born outside the U.S.
  • Any court orders, including custody/visitation order, order of protection
  • Records of any arrests or convictions
  • Any documents regarding the care of your children (for example, the form to Designate a Person in Parental Relation)
  • Health insurance card(s)
  • Documents proving that you have been in the U.S. for at least two years. (You may need this to prove you have a right to see an immigration judge before ICE can decide to deport you.) These documents could be:
    • Birth certificates of children born in the U.S. 
    • Apartment lease
    • Utility bills with your name on them
    • Pay stubs
    • Bank statements
    • Medical records
    • School records of your children
Last Review and Update: Jun 18, 2017

LiveHelp is trying to contact an operator...