If your landlord is trying to make you leave your home for reasons other than unpaid rent, it's called a "holdover case." This could be because your lease is up, you're being too noisy, the person living with you didn't tell the landlord, or you made changes to the place without permission.

If your landlord is only trying to get unpaid rent from you, that is not a holdover case; it is a "nonpayment case." The guide below is for holdover cases only.

The guide provides answers to questions tenants might have in holdover eviction cases. It covers topics such as how to respond to an eviction, navigate the legal process, and request a halt (stop) to the eviction. It has sample forms and information on getting help. 

Was this information helpful?

Last Reviewed: October 12, 2023